Founded in 1877, Rhode Island School of Design (or “RIZ-dee” for the acronym RISD) is one of the oldest and best-known colleges of art and design in the U.S. Each year approximately 2,300 students from around the world pursue a creative, studio-based education at RISD, which offers rigorous bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in 19 architecture, design, fine arts and art education majors. The college is located in Providence, Rhode Island, which offers its own vibrant art scene and is conveniently located between two other major cultural centers: Boston and New York.
The mission of Rhode Island School of Design Continuing Education (RISD/CE) is to educate students of all ages in art and design with high quality, accessible programs.
Year-round, hundreds of non-credit RISD/CE courses, workshops and lectures are offered in all aspects of art and design for adults, teens and children. RISD/CE’s fall and spring terms offer 12-week courses, while winter and summer terms offer more intensive six-week courses. In the summer, RISD Continuing Education also offers the six-week Pre-College Program for high school artists and designers, and a broad range of summer programs for college credit: Summer Studies six-week courses in Visual Arts and Design; the Textiles Summer Institute; and the Summer Institute for Graphic Design Studies. RISD/CE also offers non-credit certificate programs for adults and teens – each of which average two to three years for completion.
The Division of Continuing Education serves more than 4,000 individual students per year; approximately 3,500 in RISD/CE courses, 400 in the Pre-College Program, and 200 in credit-bearing summer courses. More than 500 students are enrolled in certificate programs.
Approximately 500 faculty members lead RISD Continuing Education courses and programs each year. Faculty members come from a variety of backgrounds; many are RISD alumni or graduate students, and most others include practicing professionals, renowned local artists and art educators.
- Advertising Design Certificate
- Animation + Video Certificate
- Animation Certificate for Young Adults
- Apparel Design Certificate
- Art School Preparation Certificate for Young Adults
- August Drawing Marathon
- Children’s Book Illustration Certificate
- Comic Art Certificate for Young Adults
- Design Certificate for Young Adults
- Digital Photography Certificate
- Drawing + Painting Studies Certificate
- Educator’s Institute
- Fashion Design Certificate for Young Adults
- Game Design Certificate for Young Adults
- Graphic Design Certificate
- Interior Design Certificate
- Jewelry + Light Metals Certificate
- Movie-Making Certificate for Young Adults
- Natural Science Illustration Certificate
- Photography Certificate for Young Adults
- Pre-College Program
- Product Development + Manufacturing Certificate
- RISD: Global Summer Programs
- Studio + Acculturation Institute
- Summer Institute for Graphic Design Studies (SIGDS)
- Summer Studies (Courses for Credit)
- Textiles Summer Institute
- Web + Interactive Design Certificate
- Young Artist Program
- Certificate Programs (both Non-Degree and for College Credit)
- Young Adult Programs and Workshops
- In-Person (On-Campus)